The Animal Welfare Approved program was established as a way for consumers to find family farms that raise their animals with the highest welfare standards. The goal of this program is, to simply put, improve farm animal welfare.
According to their website, the AWA standards are “the most rigorous and progressive animal care requirements in the nation”. These standards include the requirement that animals be raised on pasture or range, prohibits dual production, and awards approval only to family farms. The program addresses all aspects of life – from birth to death. Each farm is audited every year to ensure its practices. Species covered by these standards include beef and dairy cattle, bison, sheep, goats, pigs, and poultry (chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese).
Terra Firma Farm in Stonington, was recently certified. They had these kind words to say about Animal Welfare Approved: “They have been a GREAT organization to work with- they provide so much marketing assistance as well. It really has been a huge asset and honor for us!”
There are currently six farms in CT that are Animal Welfare Approved.
- Terra Firma Farm – Stonington, CT http://www.terrafirmafarm.org/
- Cedar Meadow Farm – Ledyard, CT http://www.cedarmeadowfarm.net/
- Stuart Family Farm – Bridgewater, CT http://www.stuartfamilyfarm.com/
- Whippoorwill Farm - Lakeville, CT www.whippoorwillfarmct.com/
- JW Beef - Stonington, CT http://www.jwbeef.com/
- Little Country Farm - Warren, CT http://www.rlittlecountryfarm.com/
For a full listing of farm profiles, more information on the standards, and an informational blog, visit the Animal Welfare Approved site at http://www.animalwelfareapproved.org/