For those in the New Haven area...The FOOD ACTION GROUP is now taking bulk grain orders. They are offering 5 organic choices, each sold in 12.5 lb units (from Natural Way Mills). You have until December 31 to place your order!
* HARD RED SPRING WHEAT BERRIES ($1.10/lb shipped) = $13.75/12.5
* Can be used as a whole grain (Wheat Berry Salad), ground into
flour, or sprouted.Check out: What to do with Wheatberries!
* Stores very well - much longer than berries already ground into
* 100% WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR ($1.17/lb shipped) = $14.75/12.5 lbs
* Can be used in baking of all types: breads, pancakes, cookies,
muffins, etc. Check out: Whole Wheat Flour Recipes
* Does not store as well as Whole Wheatberries, but doesn't require
a grinder to use.
* WHOLE YELLOW CORN ($1.06/lb shipped) = $13.25/12.5 lbs
* Can be ground into cornmeal to be used in a variety of recipes.
* Can also be nixtamalized (releases the niacin in the corn),
and used as hominy in soups, stews, breads and puddings.
* ROLLED OATS ($1.35/lb shipped) = $17.00/12.5 lbs
* Can be used for oatmeal, in savory grain dishes, and is a great
addition to breads. One more word on oats.... Granola!!
* Can be eaten raw (after soaking) - which makes this an ideal
* 7 GRAINS BREAKFAST CEREAL ($1.42/lb shipped) = $17.75/12.5 lbs
* Contains: Wheat, Rye, Barley, Flax, Steel Cut Oats, Corn, and
Millet. This is a good way to get familiar with new grains.
* There are about 10 servings/pound = $0.14/serving.
Order Closes: December 31, 2010. Five gallon food-grade storage buckets will be available for purchase at the time of the distribution.
Forward this order out to friends and family - the more the merrier. If you have any questions regarding the order, recipes to share with the group, or suppliers for future orders (especially local suppliers!!), please email email@example.com. This is part of the pantry-building project. Interested in helping? Ideas, tips, tricks for pantry-living? Please send them along!
- Food Action Group
meetings: Each 1st Tuesday; 7pm; UU Society, 608 Whitney Ave, New Haven