“I learned that pizza is one of everything,” said Andersen Steele, 8, during her second week of camp last year. “It has dairy, it has grain, it has vegetables and it has a little bit of oil on it and it has meat if it’s pepperoni.”
Her mother, Beth Steele, recalled her daughter’s pizza fascination and her overall increased interest in what her family eats since she attended farm camp. “She has a better appreciation when we go to the grocery store of what it takes to get that food from the farm to the store to your table,” she said.Below is a list of Connecticut farms and organizations that offer on-farm educational programs ranging from seminars and day camps to week-long or multi-week opportunities.
- Community Farm of Simsbury
- Massaro Community Farm - Woodbridge
- Urban Oaks Organic Farm - New Britain
- Education Center at Auer Farm - Bloomfield
- Terra Firma Farm - Stonington
- Common Ground - New Haven
- The Unquowa School Farm Camp Program - Fairfield
- FRESH New London
- New Pond Farm - Redding
- Fiddlehead Farm - North Granby
- Flamig Farm - West Simsbury
Have an educational and fun week!