“The Right2Know is at the heart of democracy. The right to know what we eat is at the heart of food democracy” – Dr. Vandana Shiva
Every day, you probably purchase and consume genetically modified foods, and are unaware because there is no legislation that GM ingredients must be disclosed on packaging. Now a coalition of organizations, businesses and individuals are planning a widespread mobilization to raise awareness about the lack of labeling and to pressure the government to take legislative action. The “GMO Right2Know March” will travel from New York to Washington D.C. from October 1 – 16. It is especially enraging that Americans do not have the right to know and choose GM or non-GM food while consumers in Europe and Japan have the power and knowledge to make this decision about what they are eating. High profile anti-GMO activists will also be taking part in the march including Vandana Shiva, Percy and Louis Schmeiser, Andrew Kimbrell, Frances Moore Lappe, Anna Lappe, Sara Snow, Joseph Wilhelm, Michael Funk, Megan Westgate, David Bronner, Ashley Koff and many others. This promises to be an inspiring march, and even if you don’t want to travel all the way from New York to Washington, DC, you should check out the rallies that are happening in cities along the route!
- New York: Brooklyn, New York City
- New Jersey: Jersey City, Newark, Millburn, Union, Springfield, Scotch Plains, New Brunswick, Princeton
- Pennsylvania: Morrisville, Trevose, Jenkintown, Philadelphia, Springfield
- Delaware: Wilmington, Hockessin, Newark
- Maryland: Darlington, Monkton, Timonium, Baltimore, Elicott City, Jessup, Laurel, College Park, Takoma Park, and
- Washington, D.C.